top of page

Graduate Membership Information


Please visit our International website, for complete information.


  • Completion of a baccalaureate degree, with at least a C+ cumulative average, or a graduate or professional degree (Ph.D., M.D., J.D., etc.) from an accredited college or university

  • C+ is equivalent to a 2.50 on a 4.0 scale if the school does not have a plus or minus on the grading scale;

  • Motivation and talents to help promote, implement and extend policies and programs of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority;

  • Attendance at Information Session with the required documents listed in the Letter of Invitation



Graduate membership is by invitation only and is not solicited through our graduate chapters. Graduate chapters host public events, such as forums, cultural presentations and social activities, so that prospective candidates can become acquainted with chapter members and learn about service activities they offer to local communities.

The Graduate Membership Intake Process (MIP) begins with a Letter of Invitation, signed by the graduate chapter president AND membership chairman on chapter stationery. There are no membership activities prior to receipt of an official invitation letter, and the Sorority prohibits partaking in MIP activities prior to receiving an official letter.

  • Pledging is not a part of the membership process, and anyone who knowingly and willingly participates in pledging activities may be forbidden membership with the Sorority. Additionally, suspension and/or expulsion may result if it is later discovered that an individual participated in pledging activities once a member.


Legacy Status

A legacy candidate is the daughter, granddaughter, adopted daughter, stepdaughter or legal ward* of an active or deceased member and submits a legacy application.

  • Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority defines a legal ward as one in which an appropriate court of law legally places permanent care, control, and custody with a member of the Sorority; court documentation will be requested.


Legacy Provision

The living family member must have been active for at least two years immediately preceding the submission of an Undergraduate or Graduate Legacy Application. Two years is defined as twenty-four (24) consecutive months. Undergraduates and graduates that apply via legacy provision still must fulfill all other membership requirements.

  • The family member can verify eligibility prior to the candidate submitting a legacy application.


Frequently Asked Questions:


Q: If a member of the Sorority asks me to attend meetings or study sessions, wear specific apparel or perform certain tasks, am I am allowed to participate in those activities?
A: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority prohibits such activities, and membership may not be extended to individuals that knowingly participate.

Q: Is it possible for me to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha if I attend an accredited four-year college or university that does not have a chapter?
A: A nearby graduate chapter in your college community willing to sponsor you can recommend you to the Regional Director for General Membership in the Sorority. 


Q: What is the process for chartering an Alpha Kappa Alpha chapter on my campus?
A: Contact the Regional Director for information concerning a possibility of chartering a chapter on your campus. 

Q: Can I participate in the membership process at another school if my campus has an inactive chapter?
A: You cannot participate in a Membership Intake Process at another school because your campus has an inactive chapter. Candidates must successfully complete at least one grading period, immediately preceding intake, at a school affiliated with the chapter.

Q: Can I become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha if I attend a community college?
A: Candidates must attend an accredited four-year college or university that confers baccalaureate degrees.

Q: If I conferred a baccalaureate degree, can I still seek membership if I am going for my second baccalaureate degree and considered an undergraduate at the college or university?
A: You are only eligible for graduate membership, by invitation only, once you confer a baccalaureate degree.

Q: I received an invitation to membership from a local graduate chapter. Am I eligible for graduate membership if I have not graduated?
A: You are ineligible for graduate membership until you confer a baccalaureate degree.

Q: Can I seek membership if I am or was a member with another Sorority?
A: If that Sorority belongs to the National Pan-Hellenic Council or National Panhellenic Conference, you are ineligible for membership with Alpha Kappa Alpha. Individuals that falsify applications will have their membership revoked and will be expelled from the Sorority.

Q: I applied as a legacy candidate but my family member is ineligible. Can I switch to a non-legacy candidate?
A: A candidate’s classification cannot change from legacy to non-legacy once a chapter accepts the legacy application and forwards it to the corporate office for review. The family member can contact AKA corporate office to verify eligibility for legacy provision prior to submitting a legacy application.

Q: What other steps are necessary if I have not received an invitation to membership although I attended all of the graduate chapter’s public events?
A: Attendance at activities does not guarantee an invitation to membership. Members of the chapter will recommend women aligned with the Sorority’s mission, service to all mankind. Please continue to network and provide service to your local community and beyond. We appreciate your interest in the sorority.

bottom of page